Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Don't Believe the Hype!




Good Tuesday to All!

A friend and I were having a conversation about places we have visited and the people we have encountered.  How many times have we not gone to a visit a place because we thought the people were not friendly?  I want to dispel the rumor about people from New York.

Last year I went to New York for the first time.  I had always been amazed by the sky line and impressive architecture.  Not to mention Time Square, Yankee Stadium, The Empire State Building, Lady Liberty, Ground Zero, Broadway, etc....etc.....etc.....

I have also heard from many people that people from New York were not friendly and were rude. I heard that New Yorkers were always in a rush and would not give you the time of day if you asked for directions.  And I had heard that New Yorkers spoke with a heavy accent and it was hard to understand.  You know my response to those negative people?  "Baloney!"  My experience with New Yorkers, are totally the opposite of what I have heard.  In my opinion, New Yorkers rival Hawaiians as the friendliest that I have met.  Let me give you some references so you don't think I am full of Hype.  My brother had arranged the trip to New York for me.  He had a shuttle van waiting to pick us up at the airport.  On the ride from JFK to Manhattan, the shuttle driver asked if I needed directions to any of the attractions.  I told him that we wanted to go to Times Square and walk around.  He said "After you drop your luggage off at the hotel and grab a bite, call me. Here is my number.  I should be back in the city in an hour, I will take you there...."  I called our driver up and he picked us up at the hotel.  A nice gesture! He said "No charge, my treat to you as a visitor to New York." What a nice guy!  Another example of the New York hospitality.  Numerous New Yorkers offered assistance on the subways.  For a visitor, if you can navigate the subway system, you can get around New York with ease.  Also, these supposedly rude and arrogant New Yorkers, would get up out of their seats on the subway and offer their seats. Amazing.  One more reference for good measure.  At Bobby Flay's restaurant in Manhattan, it was known that he could drop in at any time and say hello to the patrons.  We told the hostess that we had eaten at his Las Vegas restaurant, and this was a treat, since this was his home.  She called him up to see if he was coming in and there were some fans of his there.  He had a prior engagement, but instructed the hostess to give us an autographed copy of one of his books.  Rude? Arrogant? Standoffish? Hard to understand? Elitist attitude?  Don't want to be bothered?  Not a chance.

By the way, the sites in New York are well worth their hype! You will not be disappointed by what New York has to offer.  In my opinion, the people are one of the best attributes of New York!

The reason why I commented on this, is because often we get caught up in hype. Hype that may not be true.  Sometimes in life, it's best to experience things and make your own judgement.  It's fine to use reviews and information to help educate yourself on a decision.  Keep an open mind and don't always believe the hype!

It's August 25, 2009 and I am bullish on Sacramento
David Ohara
@dwo34
dwo34@aol.com

2 comments:

  1. David, I wholeheartedly agree w/you. I lived in NYC for over 2 years and experienced NONE of the bad rep the city is known for.

    I have many incidences but one that sticks out is when I stopped into a market to pick up a couple of items. It was cold as heck, I was walking back to my place and a girl comes running up to me a block away. "You dropped your money," she says and hands me a $5 and $1. omg... you crazy chick coming out in this weather to give me back my money?! what a great citizen. I wanted her to keep it just for the gesture.

    Another story is at the airport. I left NYC and had a layover somewhere - I don't know. But this guy comes up to me and says did you drop something? I said...um, no? And then I immediately chked my back pocket and I said..Maybe? He hands me 3 twenty dollar bills. I shit you not. I was so embarrassed. I have a bad habit of stuffing money in my back pocket (note to Chris Pirillo YES CHRIS I'VE STOPPED DOING IT) sort of. Sometimes I do forget and stuff it back there.

    Anyway, I'm sure there are many instances where I dropped money and it's just gone. But there instances (and there are more) stick out and show how people do DO the right thing. And it really warmed my heart whenever someone would do this. In fact, it just happend on my last trip to Boston. I was handing the last person you come in contact with my planne ticket about to walk down to the airplane when the guy behind me goes "Hey, that's yours. It...looks like money?" It was so folded up and small - I think it got washed in my pants but it was so small I didn't notice. I was ROTF but it was tiny. He picked it up and handed it to me and said DAMN if you wanna toss money around lemme know what seat you're in."

    Yay to kindness.

    This is a great blog entry, David. I'm happy and inspired to read you.

    -Krys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krys. I totally agree! The other thing that was so impressive was how clean New York was. I had heard that it was dirty. Not the NY I saw. Also, their drinking water was as fresh as Lake Tahoe tap! Unbelievable. Mayor Rudy did a great job in the Big Apple!

    ReplyDelete