Monday, August 31, 2009

UFC 102 at the Rose Garden in Portland





Hello and Good Monday Evening

I had the opportunity to go to my first UFC event on Saturday.  I had a blast! The event was held in Portland, OR.  I had never visited Portland before, and I had heard some very nice things about the city.  I was invited to the fights by my friend Dwight.  Dwight had arranged front row seats.  

I caught my plane from Sacramento and had an easy flight up to Portland.  The weather was nice and cool in Portland and was amazed at the size of the Columbia River.  I hooked up with Dwight at the airport.  We chatted about the upcoming fights and shared thoughts on who we thought was going to win each fight and how.

As fight time neared, the excitement grew. The city was buzzing as everywhere we stopped, people asked if we were attending the fights.  I was thrilled to see that I was going to have an unobstructed view of the octagon shaped ring.  

The fights were excellent.  Some of the fights ended quickly.  As a matter of fact, one of the fights ended in 7 seconds on a vicious knockout!  Todd Duffee knocked out Tim hague with the first punch of the fight!  It was announced that it was the fastest knockout in UFC history!  There were other knockouts and some submissions.  The most impressive fight was Nate Marquardt stopping Demien Maia with a straight left hand after Maia was attempting to kick him. Another one punch KO!

The main event of the evening pitted hall of famer Randy Couture and Brazilian star Antonio Nogueira.  The fight was a battle of an old warrior and a dangerous submission expert.  All though Couture was the fan favorite, the Brazilian star did enough to win an unanimous decision.  Couture had to survive a couple of strong submission attempts.  

My observations: Dana White has done a spectacular job promoting and developing the UFC.  The fighters are very charismatic and have great story lines.  Portland was a great host city.  The arena was full of energy and loud.  I can't wait to go to my next UFC fight!

It's August 31, 2009 and I am bullish on Sacramento
David Ohara
@dwo34
dwo34@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment