Wednesday, August 26, 2009

One Ultra Cool Lady!







Good Thursday Everyone!


I want to take the time and introduce an ultra cool friend from Berlin to you!  Her name is Jasmin Orthbandt.  Take a look at Jasmin and see if you can tell what she does for a living.  You may be surprised.  Read about her and see why I think Jasmin is one "ultra cool lady!"


dwo34:  Hi Jasmin, first of all, for all the readers out there, please tell us what you do for a living?


JO: I am one of the founders (2 others) and managing partner of pixeltamer.net.  We are contract game developers. Meaning we develop games for other business and game companies for them to publish. We concentrate on 2D / 3D multi user online content.  So we develop browser based MMO's, flash games, social home games for Facebook and the like and also we develop games for the IPhone. Before that I was the lead AI programmer for a company called SEK GmbH here in Berlin. This company developed AAA RTS Game for the PC like ParaWorld and Diggles.



dwo34: That's impressive Jasmin. How did you get started and how does one become a game developer?


JO: I started playing video games as I was 7 (now I am 41), so I guess my life was pretty much set up for becoming a game developer at one point.  But still at first I did other jobs and travelled the world a bit. But in the end I always wanted to know how to make games. So I went back to school and became a software engineer and then started in the game industry. (smiles) I still game now nearly every day. Usually I play MMORPG's. My favorites are Ultima Online which I have been playing now for 11 years and for the last three years Lord of the Rings Online  (smiles).




dwo34:      OK, you know I have to ask you this....   I love your tattoos! How many do you have?


JO: I currently have 16! (wink)




dwo34: 16! That's quite a few.  Do your tattoos have any special meaning?


JO: Some do, some don't. The tribal I have on my legs, back and throat are all animals. The one on my throat is a Frog, on my back a Bat, My calf is a Cockatiel, and on my thigh a Chameleon. The other Tribal's are just ornamental. Or just pictures. Like the Garfield.



dwo34: I have seen many television shows that feature tattoo artists and people getting a tattoo. When I watch it on TV, the people getting the tattoo seem not to be in any discomfort. Please let me know if there is pain associated with getting a tattoo.


JO: Most definitely, some parts hurt more than others, but in the end, getting a tattoo always hurts (smiles)


dwo34: Ouch! I think you just talked me out of getting a tattoo! Me and pain don't do well together.



dwo34: I have seen you rocking the microphone. Do you have a rock band that you perform with?


JO: Hehe, this is not a real music group, but the game Rockband from Harmonix. At the Nordic Game Conference 07, I was asked if I could help out Harmonix, the developers of Rockband, and do the Keynote Speech at the conference. They needed a singer as they where introducing the game Rockband. Seeing that I love playing Singstar, I said yes. It even got recorded for Swedish National Television.



dwo34: Sweet! A lady of many talents!! I like that.


JO: Thank you.



dwo34: I know you are from Berlin and you love it there. How long have you lived in Berlin?


JO: I am actually a Berliner (smiles) Berlin actually got voted by a UK Magazine the best Summer Party Town of Europe and Berghain the best Club in the World even. Berlin, especially in summer, is just awesome. We are very free here. It is the greenest Capitol of Europe with Trees lining every street and everywhere there are parks and lakes and even city beaches. Also all the cafes, bars, pubs lining the streets. And with it high percentage of foreigners, we have a lovely mixed culture here, with all foods, drinks and music available from all over the world.



dwo34: Tell me why people should come and visit Berlin.


JO: People are very relaxed and friendly considering this is a capitol city. It just has a very special vibe here. It buzzes! Hard to explain, one has to come and see for him/herself what it is about Berlin what makes it so special.



dwo34: Thank you so much Jasmin!


JO: You're welcome David. See you soon. Come and visit me and my country.


dwo34: I plan on it.


OK, now do you see why I think Jasmin is one Ultra Cool lady! Behind the tats is a lady of many talents.  The game you are playing may have originated from this lady's mind! I will keep everyone updated on new and exciting games that Jasmin is creating. Maybe even ask if I can sample one.  Thank you Jasmin for your time!


It's August 27, 2009 and I am bullish on Sacramento

David Ohara

@dwo34

dwo34@aol.com


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comments. I will check your blog. I am always seeking interesting things to blog on and your suggestions are welcomed. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing some of the beautiful & worldly, Jasmin Orthbandt. I found this a very interesting & engaging interview.

    Of course any gamer is going to be uber jealous of her connections and contacts. I'd love to play in her Rock Band. :)

    And 16 tattoos?! W O W

    :)

    -Krys

    ReplyDelete