Friday, August 21, 2009

Wildhorse Golf Course in Davis, CA




Good Friday to All:

I want to give you a mini review on a favorite golf course of mine.  The name of the golf course is Wildhorse and is located about 15 minutes west of downtown Sacramento.  The course is situated on 170 acres and is an old walnut orchard.  It is an 18 hole course with a multitude of tee boxes, so that every skill level can enjoy it.

The course opened in 1999 and has some mature trees and is environmentally friendly, with more than 40 acres dedicated to native habitat.  I know these environmentally sensitive areas, because either myself, or one of my playing partners have hit balls into this area.  Water comes into play on several of the holes, as Covell Creek makes its presence known.  

The links style course allows golfers to chose their approach on how to play it.  If you play from the tips, the golf course has a much different look.  From the tips, the course measures over 6800 yards, including a mammoth par 5 that is over 560 yards long! A couple of weeks ago, yours truly hit a drive that measured 304 yards and I had 262 to the middle of the green.  I took out my 3 wood and proceeded to knock the ball on the green.  Those two shots were arguably the two longest shots I have hit back to back.  I two putted for a birdie.

My favorite hole on the golf course is Number 17.  This par 5 measures 508 from the tip.  The hole is a slight dogleg to the left with water down the entire left side of the hole.  The ideal shot is to hit at a cluster of trees on the right side of the fairway and to try to carry as much water as possible, in order to get on in two.  If you don't want to risk it, aim for the bunkers on the right and the carry is not as far.  I play the hole with a cut drive (I'm a lefty) and I aim for the trees on the right side of the fairway. If I hit it well, I can leave myself about a 180-195 yard approach.  If I don't hit it well, I am in the water. A true risk-reward tee shot.  Very fun hole to play.  The Par 3's are all fun.  The first par 3 measures about 180 yards and is slightly up hill.  The green is guarded by bunkers.  The rest of the Par 3's have water to contend with, so there are no easy ones out there!  The Par 4's are all fair and the last hole is very challenging.  433 yards of doglegs and then a carry. A par on this hole is an excellent score.  I guarantee you'll have fun out there!

I enjoy playing Wildhorse for the layout and scenic holes.  But the customer service at Wildhorse is also good. Friendly Pro Shop employees, an on the ball starter, engaging marshals, and fun beverage servers add to the luster.  I highly recommend this course.  It's an user friendly golf course for all skill levels.  Wildhorse is located at 2323 Rockwell Drive, Davis, CA 95616, call them at 530-753-4900 for a tee time, I might see you out there!

It's August 21, 2009 and I am bullish on Sacramento
David Ohara
@dwo34
dwo34@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment