Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Harness Racing


Hello and Happy Tuesday

I hope everyone is enjoying the start of their week.  I wanted to chat about one of my passions. Harness racing!  beginning when I was in High School, I always enjoyed harness racing (horse racing with a sulky or "bike"), where the driver sits behind the horse.  I saw the owners of these athletes celebrate in victory and walk into the winner's circle to get their picture taken!  I said to myself "one day I am going to get my photo taken as an owner of one of these horses."  In 2005, I embarked into the horse ownership business.  With a friend, we purchased a horse names Winning Star.  We raced him several times, but he would not get to the winner's circle.  He suffered and injury, so we retired him and he enjoys a life of relaxation now.

I then proceeded to by another horse named Hi Ho Nicole, a tough mare, who always gave her best effort.  After several starts, she won my first race! The feeling of that victory was total jubilation! Words could not describe the feeling of that first win.  What made it special, is that she came from last place to catch the field at the wire!

That win was followed by other wins and other horses.  In 2007, my stable included 10 horses! A lofty number.  Two of my favorite horses were Tristate Hanover and Yankee Lance.  Tristate Hanover gave me an exciting rush when he won in front of a big crowd, including family and friends during the State Fair Meet.  Yankee lance went on to win over $100,000 for our partnership and was purchased from us for $62,500.  Considering we purchased him at a horse sale for $15,000, we did well with him.  He also set a time of 1:49.4, and for me, that is an all time record.  Any horse that can pace a sub 1:50 mile is considered very fast!  Yankee Lance was shipped to the Meadowlands in New jersey, considered the "Big Time" in harness racing and held his own with the east coast horses! These horses almost begin to take on the roll of a "pet" and it's easy to lose sight that this is a business, not an expensive pet.

Although a fun sport, I have limited myself to only one horse.  Split Ticket, my only horse currently,  races at Cal Expo.  He is considered one of the top pacers in California and has 8 wins for the year!  I learned that it's better to have a small stable of quality horses, rather than a large stable of marginal quality.  

I will line up one of the leading horsemen in CA to chime in here also.  I will give everyone a perspective behind the scenes.  Maybe even give a "tip" or two to the people who may want to make a wager.  The horse business is fun and exciting! I am proud to be involved in Harness Racing.

It's August 11, 2009 and I am bullish on Sacramento
David Ohara
@dwo34
dwo34@aol.com

1 comment:

  1. I was asked by several people "How many times have I been able to get into the 'winner's circle'?" I have been fortunate. I estimate that horses that I have owned have given me over a 100 wins! Winning never gets old, very exciting! If in Sacramento, let me know and I can invite you to the races!

    ReplyDelete