Saturday, August 1, 2009

@dwo34 and Muay Thai!




Hello and Happy Saturday:

Last evening in Sacramento, Urijah Faber promoted a Muay Thai (Kick Boxing) card at the Radisson Hotel, featuring Muay Thai legend Master Thong.  The place was packed and everyone seemed to enjoy the card.  There were about 13 fights on the card.  What was different for me, I did not go as a spectator, I went as a participant! 

Before I get ahead of myself, I was not a kick boxer participant, I helped a friend of mine work the corner for one of his young fighters.  TJ Amaba was making his debut and drew the last fight of the evening.  TJ did a great job by winning a unanimous decision.  My experience with Muay Thai is probably as much as yours, I have seen it on TV and in the movies.  This was my first card I ever witnessed. 

My friend Ken, asked me to help him, because he needed someone to wrap TJ's hands.  Since he knows I love boxing and have several friends in Sacramento who are boxers or train boxers, he thought "Dave knows how to wrap hands..." he was wrong!  But, me being the resourceful one, I called my friend Dennis Velez who trains fighters in the area, and he gave me a class on how to wrap.  After a few hours I felt like a pro!  Thank you Dennis.

As the time approached for me to wrap TJ's hands, I was watching the other handlers wrap their fighters hands.  I felt supremely confident.  I wrapped TJ's hands and had one of the commissioners sign off and he said "Great job!"  TJ did not suffer any hand injuries so I may have found my calling in life! Haha.  It was a great experience for me and look forward to wrapping more hands in the future.

Urijah Faber aka "California Kid" did an outstanding job with the show.  Standing only room crowd,  easy access to seating, great fights, a good time for all!  I will be contacting Urijah to interview for this blog. A very interesting guy with big dreams and goals! Much more than a fighter.

It's August 1, 2009 and I am bullish on Sacramento
David Ohara
@dwo34
dwo34@aol.com
916-600-9495

No comments:

Post a Comment